Remember the following, whether leading your team or “managing up”:
- Different people deserve to be managed differently.
- Praise in public; reprimand in private.
- The first time undesirable behavior occurs it is a mistake and learning experience. The second time it’s a red flag that must be addressed and documented. The third time it’s a pattern that must be broken.
- Encourage people to be more of what they are. Place them where their talents best suit your organization
- You will experience an exponential return when building on and harnessing your people’s strengths; you only realize an incremental return when developing their areas of weakness.
- People only change when it is in their best interest to change. To facilitate change, lead people to discover how they will personally benefit from it.